DIY or hire a professional to refinish your hardwood floors?
If you are going to complete a professional hardwood refinish job, you will need to have all the necessary equipment. There is a decent list of material you will need. Some of these materials are everyday materials that you can find in any store that deals with carpentry or flooring equipment. Let’s get right into it.
- Stripping Agents If your flooring has a particularly thick finish or many layers of paint, you may want to start the process by stripping the hardwood floor.
- Sanders To smooth your hardwood floors and remove old finish, you will need some sanders. You will need both an orbital sander for the main area and a smaller sander for edges and corners. An orbital sander can usually be rented. Although this sander is very powerful, it is not what professionals commonly use. Professionals often employ a drum sander that requires skill and perfection, as this type of sander can cause very severe damage if used by an untrained person. The small sander will be required to reach the spots that the orbital sander cannot reach. An alternative, albeit not recommended, would be to use your hands, but it would be very time consuming.
- A Shop Vacuum Whether or not you’re dust sensitive, we’d recommend buying some dust masks and goggles. In addition to that, you will need a vacuum to clean up the dirt and sawdust remnants. Steer clear of water-based or cyclone vacuums. These types of vacuums are prone to clogging and breaking when dealing with wood and other leftover materials. Go to a hardware or home improvement store and get something non-fancy but efficient.
- Sandpapers Be sure to use high quality sandpaper. Good quality sandpaper will last longer and do a better job refinishing your floors.
- Wipe-on stains and finishes If you’re going to DIY, wipe-on products, gel topcoats, and gel stains are very easy to use and keep you from dealing with the headaches of drips, sags, brush strokes and longer wetness that are all characteristic to brush-on products.
- Rags You will need rags for wiping the stains and finishes on. You can use something you have at home as long as it is neat and lint-free. Look out for sharp objects, buttons and zippers on the surface to make sure you don’t do any damage to the surface of your finish.
- Other regular equipment Tarps and painters tape will help to keep the dust generated from the sanders contained. You will need some paint rollers or small brushes to apply the new finish. A pry bar or putty knife may come in handy if you have some repairs to make; just make sure you buy wood putty that matches.
DIY or hire a professional to refinish your hardwood floors?
Whether you plan to DIY or hire a professional to refinish your hardwood floor, it’s important to prepare your floor and your home for the process. If you have other construction work going on in your home, it’s best to save your floor work for last. You should also note that in times of higher humidity, such as rainy periods, the increased moisture can compromise the work and a professional is strongly advised.
To begin, you will want clear the floor of all rugs, furniture, and other items. Anything else that needs to be protected from debris and dust should be removed or wrapped. The doors, outlets, and vents should be sealed to prevent dust from spreading.
Once the floor is cleared, it should be checked for any nails or sharp objects. If a carpet has been recently removed, double check for any carpet tacks or staples that may remain. Any sharp objects on the floor will damage the sandpaper and sander. If there are any nails, try to get them out without damaging the floor or tap them below the surface. Look for any gaps and cracks in the floor and try to fill them before starting to ensure a uniform consistency. Remove any severely damaged flooring and thoroughly sweep or mop before beginning.
You will also need determine the new finish and decide how to remove the old one. Whether you opt to sand or strip the finish, ensure that the work area is well ventilated. If you decide to remove the finish with a stripping agent, confirm that it won’t cause damage to your floor. If your hardwood floor has been refinished a significant number of times or is aged, you are better off using the services of a professional to ensure that the integrity of the floor is maintained during the refinishing process. Ample preparation will also be required if glue needs to be removed from the hardwood flooring. Heat, adhesive removers, or stripping agents are likely options to be employed.
On a final note, floor refinishing and preparing your floor are a physically demanding tasks, and this should be given serious consideration when deciding if you want to DIY or hire professionals. If you are going to DIY, be sure to take the appropriate personal precautions during the process. Use protective gloves, clothing, eyewear, and breathing masks to ensure that you stay safe.
Winter. Shovel blades scraping against the wood. Ice, snow, extreme wind chills. Heat extremes, humidity. All these things work against the wood on your outside deck. And regardless of the wood that your deck is made of, it requires maintenance, and there is no exception.
Your deck needs to be maintained about every two years unless, of course, you live in areas with extreme weather conditions. Maintaining your deck requires equipment such as a pressure washer, sander or chemicals, time, and elbow grease. Deciding which deck stain or paint to use is important as well. Different types of stains and paint help protect your deck’s wood from the damaging effects of the elements. It’s important to pick one that not only matches your home but also gives you the protection your deck needs.
Our knowledgeable experts at Dave’s Floor Sanding & Installation, Inc. have all the right equipment and know exactly what needs to be done to bring the life back into your deck and keep it protected no matter what the weather conditions are. We can make repairs and replace any broken or split supports. In addition, every precaution is taken to ensure that your siding and your plants are protected during the process.
With over 35 years in the business, we have a reputation for excellence. We will take the time to sit down with you and discuss not only your needs but the options that are available to you. Our goal is to give you a finished product that adds beauty to your home and yard so you can enjoy the days ahead!
Located west of downtown Minneapolis is the beautiful city of St. Louis Park, MN. Not only is it close enough for all to enjoy everything Minneapolis has to offer, but it has attractions, events, arts, culture, and recreational activities as well as shopping and dining experiences you will want to enjoy. It is also rich in historical sites and modern amenities.
Mixing the past with the present is a big part of life in St. Louis Park. Their historical society was created in 1970 with the mission to “Collect, Preserve and Disseminate knowledge about the history of St. Louis Park.” And they have done just that. The historical beauty can be seen almost everywhere you go. You can also see how much they care for their citizens in the organized events they have such as the National Night Out, the Penny Carnival where children ages 3 and up can have the time of their lives for pennies. They also have a summer concert series where you can meet old and new friends.
Yes, the past and the present both reside together in St. Louis Park, and nothing shows this better than the historic homes that are in many neighborhoods. One of the issues, though, with an older home is knowing when to refinish your hardwood flooring. It isn’t as simple as you might think. While hardwood does get better with age, it is only up to a certain point that this occurs. After this, the wear and tear of everyday life begins to take its toll and your hardwood flooring begins look less lively.
If you are noticing your hardwood flooring is beginning to show its age with squeaking and staining or it has begun to look dull, give our experienced refinishing specialists at Dave’s Floor Sanding a call. We have been servicing the St. Louis Park and surrounding areas for over 35 years. With a consultation, we can give you options that can bring the brightness back to your flooring. We will work with you and any ideas you may have to bring back smiles to you and your hardwood flooring.
Combining dining, shopping and nightlife with restful fishing on the lake, a lovely afternoon at the wineries or just a relaxing nap on the beach and you begin to see why Waconia was voted “the best city in Minnesota for young families.” The day may begin as gloomy, rainy or snowy, but residents and visitors alike will find warmth and happy times with special happenings and various annual events every week during the entire year. Affordable living and fun for all make Waconia a place to call home.
And before you go out to have fun at your weekly event, it might be time to take a look at your hardwood flooring and see if it is in need of a little TLC. Sometimes in the activity of daily living, we become unaware of things that are occurring right in front of us. As you take a closer look you may notice that your hardwood flooring is looking a little “worn.” But before you rush out and rent a sander and upset your entire household, let’s consider a couple of things. First of all, understand that refinishing your flooring can be not only a big job but one you really need to know what you are doing. Dust, chemical smells, furniture out of place all can lead to upsetting the home. Secondly, if you have any problems with your hardwood such as cupping, crowning or buckling, you could make matters worse by not knowing exactly what to do or how to do it.
Why not let the experienced flooring contractors at Dave’s Floor Sanding take a look at your hardwood flooring and give you options you may not have even considered. We have been servicing Waconia and the surrounding area for over 35 years and have the experience and know-how to get the job done with the least amount of disruption to your home and your family. Bring your questions and concerns to us and together we will come up with options that are acceptable not only to your lifestyle but your wallet as well.